Here are a few facts about Ireland and the Irish which may amuse and inform you:
- The ‘Titanic’ – the world’s most famous ship – was built in Belfast, the capital city of Northern Ireland. It sank on its maiden voyage to New York with the loss of over 1500 lives. Now you can re-live the history and that fateful voyage through the worlds leading tourist attraction – The Titanic Experience’ – located at the same dockyard in which the great ship was built. Click here for more information.
- The ‘Titanic’ ship
- The modern age of the submarine was initiated by an Irishman called John Phillip Holland in 1900. He was the first to use batteries to power submerged submarines.
- The White House – home of the President of the United States – was designed by an Irishman, James Hoban, in 1758.
- The White House, Washington DC
- The most coveted trophy in the film industry – the Oscar – was designed by another Irishman, Austen Gibbons, in 1928. He was an art director and film production designer.
- The Oscar Trophy
- The remains of St Valentine, the patron saint of lovers, are interred in Whitefriar Street Church, Dublin. On February 14th, engaged couples attend Mass there to have their impending union blessed.
- To be continued…….